- Cat Food Products
- Dog Food Products
- The Ferret
- Pet Health
- Dog Health
- Canine Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Dog Anal Glands
- Are We Vaccinating Dogs Too Much?
- Canine Candida and Antibiotics
- Canine Osteoarthritis and Hip Dysplasia
- Dog Allergies
- Dog Hot Spots and Alopecia
- Dog Obesity - Reasons and solutions
- Dog Tartar and Gingivitis
- Dog Vaccinations
- Hip Dysplasia in Dogs
- Why Raw Meat?
- Pancreatitis In Dogs - A Holistic Approach To Solving Pancreatitis In Dogs
- Dogs & Diabetes
- Cat Health
- Feline Diabetes
- Pancreatitis in Cats
- Urinary Tract Infection in Cats
- Feline Obesity - 'The Fat Cat'
- Feline Struvite Crystals - prevention
- Feline Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Hepatic Lipidosis in Obese Cats
- Dry Cat Food Consequences
- The Hunter & The Wild Feline Diet
- Why Feed Raw Meat?
- The Holistic Veterinarian - An Opinion
- Homemade Cat Food
- Homemade Dog Food
- Natural Pet Food & The Absence of Chronic Health Conditions
- Dog Health
- More Information
- Join Us on
- Order Now
- Shopping Cart
- Singapore & Japan
- Our Blog
- Site map
Feline Struvite Crystals - Cat Struvite Crystals
The cause of struvite crystals in cats is dry cat food. Due to the lack of moisture in the diet, the urine becomes too concentrated. A balanced raw meat diet should resolve the problem and help eliminate the occurence of struvite crystals in the urine.
Scroll to the bottom to watch the video.
|* New Trial Size - Only $14.95 including shipping. Makes 6lbs. of cat food.|
1. Struvite crystals are also referred to as triple phosphate (magnesium ammonium phosphate), and when several crystals join together to form stones, they can become life-threatening to the cat. These stones can range in shape and size, and when they block the urinary tract, they can quickly lead to kidney failure. Immediate veterinary care is essential for diagnosis and removal.
2. Contrary to popular belief in the veterinary community, struvite crystals are not a consequence of too much magnesium in the diet.
3. Signs to watch for; very frequent litter box use, licking urethral area excessively, straining to urinate, crying in pain while urinating, urinating in various areas of the home, blood in the urine, depression, lack of appetite
4. When struvite crystals are suspected or even confirmed, a urine culture is essential, in order to identify whether a bacterial infection is present, and which anti-biotic may be most appropriate, or even whether anti-biotic treatment is necessary.
5. The incidence of struvite crystals in cats coincides exactly with the advent and widespread use of dry commercial cat foods. These diets became popular in the 1970’s, and since that time, our precious felines have been subjected to this very painful and unnecessary condition. (These ‘foods’ were not developed for the optimal health of cats, but rather for the convenience of the feline guardian, and most assuredly for the profits of the commercial pet food manufacturers.)
6. The cause of struvite crystals in cats is dry commercial pet foods. Due to the lack of moisture in the diet, the urine becomes too concentrated, and due to the use of plant-based ingredients in dry kibble, the urine becomes too alkaline. An alkaline environment in very concentrated urine predisposes struvite formation. Struvite crystals do not tend to appear in a more acidic environment and where the urine is more dilute. The cat is not a natural water drinker, as it has evolved over millions of years, in a very arid part of the planet, and derived most of its moisture from its prey. Consequently, the domestic cat which is fed a diet of dry foods is chronically dehydrated.
7. Acidifying the diet with veterinary prescription diets does not work, and most cats resist these unappetizing foods. There has been little or no progress in the treatment of struvite crystals in the traditional veterinary community.
8. The best line of defense is prevention. When the cat consumes a balanced, natural diet of raw meat, the urine can maintain a more natural pH. The water content of the food (typically 75 – 80% moisture) creates a more dilute urine, and struvite formation, does not occur.
To Learn More About A Raw Diet - Click Here